A highly respected doctor during the previous SARS period gave the following advice on a novel (new) Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) as denoted by WHO:
- Avoid visiting highly impacted areas.
- If going on a flight, make sure you wear a mask.
- Always have antiseptic cleanser or towel readily available.
- The virus “Coronavirus” is a similar type of virus to the previous SARS or MERS. This time it is OC43. There is still no known method of inoculating against this virus.
- If you have to go to the market, make sure you wear a mask. Be very vigilant. The virus has achieved documented human to human transmission.
- This virus is very serious. However, as the virus is found to only be able to enter your body if your throat or throat mucosa is dry, the one precaution they suggest which can be taken is to ensure your throat or throat mucosa is always well hydrated. It is suggested not to allow your throat to become dry, as in 10 minutes of being dry, the virus will find ways to enter into your body. So do not refrain from drinking water, always have a bottle handy.
- For adults, It is suggested drinking 50-80cc of warm water; for children 30-50cc. Just drink if you feel your throat is dry. Do not hesitate. However drinking more than the amount recommended is not necessary, as it will just want to pass through your system. The idea is to “keep your throat constantly moist.”
- Try not to enter crowded places, public Transport, etc, and wear a mask if necessary.
- Avoid eating too much deep fried food and take plenty of Vitamin C.
- Control centre advice on symptoms of this virus:
- Fast and high fever, hard to lower, but if successful, the fever will return very soon.
- Next stage is coughing, in long duration, people affected are mainly children.
- Adults have mainly throat symptoms, together with headaches and physical discomforts.
- The virus is “highly” contagious.
- Elderly and young children are most susceptible, so take super precaution if you are a parent of young children (less than 12 yrs).
You might also like